Many people often make following mistakes when applying for a Vietnam visa. But if a little attention is paid, it is very easy for you to avoid such problems, and then avoid normal unnecessary troubles which may cost you more time and expense:
1. Getting a visa on arrival without applying online for a visa approval letter:
Many travelers has checked and known that their nationalities are supported with a visa on arrival, and they think that with that kind of visa, they can get their visa directly at the Vietnam airport without applying for a visa approval letter online in advance. But it is not true at all, and they will surely be refused for getting on flight to Vietnam without an approval letter. You may be ended up with the delaying or cancelling of your flight or you have to search everywhere on the internet to find an online agent to give you a rush visa (of course, it will cost a bigger amount to handle the situation. Therefore, we strongly suggest that you should apply online for your approval letter in advance (at least 2 days in advance) so that you can pick your visa up at one of three main Vietnam international airports (Tan Son Nhat airport – Ho Chi Minh City, Noi Bai airport – Hanoi, Da Nang airport – Danang City).
2. Get visa on arrival at the border:
We would like to emphasize that visa on arrival is applicable for those who travel to Vietnam by air only. In other words, there will be no visa on arrival for arriving in Vietnam by land or by sea. So, if you don’t travel by air, don’t apply for this kind of visa. If you still apply for one and don’t enter Vietnam by air, the travel agent will not refund your expense. And with that approval letter, you also are not allowed to get into Vietnam at the border.
3. Spelling or Typo mistakes:
Many applicants fill in the Application form with WRONG details: full name, passport number or date of birth. Normally, no serious problems come from this. However, you might get trouble at the departure airport if the information on your approval letter doesn’t match those in your passport. Therefore, entering everything correctly and carefully is the best way because it not only takes you just a little time but also prevents you from getting unexpected problems.
4. Arrival date: you as well as so many other travelers may think that the visa validity starts from the date a traveler enters Vietnam, not the date he or she provides in the application form. However, it is not true at all. Please be aware that your visa validity starts from the date you provided earlier, not the date you will enter Vietnam, and you are allowed to enter Vietnam later than the arrival date you provided but not earlier. So we strongly recommend you make a clear plan about the date you will enter Vietnam before deciding to order a visa for your smooth trip.
5. Visa extensions: most travelers have the belief that it is easy to extend a visa so they don’t pay much attention about which kind of visa they must choose. For example, if they are not sure about how long they will stay in Vietnam, they can apply for a 1 month visa first, after that they can extend their visa if they have to stay in Vietnam more than that period (as they think extending visa process is simple and fast). However, please note that it is not as easy as you think it is supposed to be. In fact, extending a visa may cost you much expense and time-consuming too.